University of Charleston
The University of Charleston seeks a Provost to serve as Chief Academic Officer. The Provost is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the academic programs, supporting an effective teaching/learning environment, and providing leadership for the following administrative units: academic services, registrar, student life, and title III. The Provost provides advice in academic matters to the President and serves as the academic liaison with the Board of Trustees through the Quality Committee. The Provost represents the University in the absence of the President as directed.
The University of Charleston is a dynamic private institution with a learner-centric, outcomes-focused philosophy and a growing emphasis on innovation via its newly established Russell and Martha Wehrle Innovation Center. UC is a diverse and evolving institution located in Charleston, WV, the state capital, with additional campuses in Beckley and Martinsburg, WV and multiple online programs. There are 2,500 students in 24 undergraduate majors and 6 graduate programs including a graduate School of Pharmacy as well as graduate programs in business, leadership, and physician assistant and nationally recognized online programs offering baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. The university sponsors 23 intercollegiate sports and recruits diverse students from over 40 states and 40 countries.
- An earned doctorate required.
- Ten or more years of successful full-time work experience in higher education including teaching and leadership roles at the Dean, VP for Academic Affairs or Provost level.
- Experience and a proven track record in academic leadership of undergraduate, graduate and online programs.
- Significant and demonstrable success in designing and implementing new academic programs.
- Significant and demonstrable success in academic program assessment and accreditation.
- Excellent and persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to foster and participate in teamwork-based innovation and to be a collaborative leader who can think creatively and implement effectively.
- Strategic thinker and data-driven decision maker with sound judgment about prioritizing and ensuring excellence in academic programs and services.
- Strong and persuasive advocate for shared governance and adept at communicating faculty issues and ideas to the President and Board of Trustees.
- Student-oriented mindset including eagerness to help recruit and retain students.
- Commitment and ability to impact the City of Charleston and State of West Virginia.
- Action oriented, visionary, and charismatic leader with the zeal to meet and exceed goals.
WHY BEING THE PROVOST AT UC IS A SUCH AS SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY:
- UC is on the precipice of greatness and welcomes vibrant leadership in academic programs and academic affairs to secure its position as the premier private university in WV with a desire to be the premier private university in the region and a national leader in online education.
- Caring and dedicated faculty who embrace change are eager to work collaboratively with a supportive yet challenging Provost to ensure excellence in current programs and exemplary new programs of study.
- Students (traditional and nontraditional) are appreciative, creating a sense of family that permeates the campus.
- The entire university understands and affirms the importance of being market sensitive, especially with nontraditional and online students and with approximately 1/3 of the students being active or prior military, representing all service branches.
- A spirit of innovation is at the core of UC and a visionary Provost can tap into that spirit and lead the Innovation Center to have regional and even national impact.
- A clear strategic direction has been endorsed by the Board of Trustees but it affords the Provost the opportunity to identify specific strategic initiatives and to chart the future direction of a sound and stable university desiring to move up to be a regional leader.
- A new Board of Advocates structure, combining various school/departmental boards of advisers, is being implemented for FY18 with the Provost assuming oversight and leadership.
- For a dynamic and assertive mid-career academic leader, the UC Provost is an opportunity to make his/her mark and make a difference on an emerging university.
- For an experienced academic leader, the UC Provost can be the capstone of his/her career helping to transform a good university into a great university, while at the same time establishing an ethos of confidence, competence, and caring.
- The UC Provost role is not for the cautious or timid. The University is seeking a passionate, innovative, courageous leader whose collaborative, goal-oriented, high expectations and accountability style will inspire faculty, staff and fellow administrators to achieve the greatness UC desires and deserves.
A Prospectus for the position is found at www.ucwv.edu/provost
Position start date is July 1, 2017. Candidates who apply prior to April 1, 2017 will be given full consideration. Salary is commensurate with experience and expertise.
Nominations, confidential inquiries, and candidate applications (including a cover letter, CV, “Statement on Educational Philosophy in Relation to the Needs and Expectations of UC” and five references (including contact information) should be sent to our search consultant:
Dr. Peter T. Mitchell
Proactive Transition Management
Apply for Provost
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly