Fashion Institute of Technology - Manager, Academic Technology and Desktop Support
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a Manager, Academic Technology and Desktop Support in the Technology department.
The Manager, Academic Technology and Desktop Support a management role reporting to the Director of Educational Technologies and Desktop Support. The position oversees the development and deployment of campus software images using centralized management tools, application lifecycle of standard and industry-specific software applications, enterprise print management, and inventory of desktop and academic spaces. The position will collaborate closely with key stakeholders within the Division of Academic Affairs and all Administrative Departments on campus to develop, implement, and support technical projects and classroom and office activities that contribute to the IT-related goals of the strategic plan.
- Annual development and deployment of base image for both Windows and Mac. Testing software compatibility to certify it is fully compatible in FIT's computing environment;
- Oversee centralized management tools for enterprise-wide distribution of images, software applications, and patches/upgrades;
- Support the college's sixty-plus industry-specific academic software applications;
- Provide end-to-end support for all back-end office computers and associated technologies for administration, faculty, and staff, across the campus. Work with academic and administrative leadership to manage and maintain campus-wide office computer refresh program;
- Maintain, inventory, and refresh hardware for 2500+ cross-platform computers and peripherals such as drawing tablets, large format printers, scanners, digitizers, and plotters in academic spaces;
- Maintain student printing initiatives including pay-for-print and scheduled in-class print services;
- Partner with Academic Affairs to develop and adhere to the governance of application lifecycle management from pre-curricular testing, major upgrades, training, and end-of-life strategy for all academic software;
- Partner with the Registrar to ensure the proper assignment of academic spaces to match the technology attributes of all (400+) courses;
- Partner with the Media Services Team to establish and maintain service level agreements (SLA's) to provide rapid response technology support to all classroom and lab activities;
- Partner with the IT Finance team to manage, procure, and coordinate software contracts and licensing agreements. Manage the budgets; approve purchases and expenditures;
- Partner with the Enterprise Infrastructure Services team to coordinate academic computing services residing within the data center including, but not limited to 30+ print servers, academic license, application, and database servers;
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Demonstrated management skills in a matrix organization. Proven ability to manage multiple teams (with 20+ direct reports including night and weekend staff);
- Demonstrated record of fostering teamwork, collegiality, relationship building, and mentoring;
- Demonstrated ability to handle quick judgement calls under high pressure; prioritize tasks under rapid fire;
- Demonstrated problem solver; ability to understand and determine root cause and propose effective and creative solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to understanding the relationship between pedagogic goals and procedures and their relationship to new and existing technology;
- Demonstrated experience to manage and roll-out multiple projects on a strict deadline and budget.
- Experience with acquisition and deployment of new technologies to extremely dynamic environments;
- Experience communicating highly-technical processes to non-technical audiences;
- Knowledge of Project Management standards, techniques, and best practices.
- Knowledge of technology trends within a higher education setting.
Baccalaureate degree required in Computer Science, Instructional Technology, or related degree from an accredited academic institution.
Minimum of 6 years of management experience in computer technology providing direct support to a large (2000+) client base. Preferred experience working in higher ed setting supporting faculty and students or a high-volume high-visibility corporate retail service environment.
Client Support Services Department
Supervisor: Meredith Perkins
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
* A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com.