Executive Director of Internal Controls and Management Analysis
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of Art and Design, Liberal Arts and Business and Technology, of the State University of New York (SUNY), invites nominations and applications for an Executive Director of Internal Controls and Management Analysis.
The Executive Director of Internal Controls and Management Analysis is responsible for developing, maintaining, and overseeing a risk-based audit and internal controls program built on best practices and utilizing enterprise risk management and continuous process improvement models as the program's framework. This will require analyzing processes, identifying operational and financial risks, conducting audits, and recommending key controls to mitigate risks. In collaboration with the Director of Policy and Compliance, the Executive Director is also responsible for the development and implementation of an on-going integrated compliance and audit program to ensure that the College remains in compliance with its internal policies as well as external laws and regulatory mandates. The Executive Director reports to the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Effectiveness with dotted line reporting to the President and the FIT Board of Trustees Audit Committee. Close collaboration with the Division of Finance and Administration is critical.
- Provide leadership for a strong internal control, risk management, and operational control environment throughout the College.
- In collaboration with the Division of Finance and Administration, ensure a strong financial control environment that limits risks while enhancing proper checks and balances among processes and units.
- Assess the overall internal control environment and provide recommendations for improvements to department supervisors/managers.
- Partner with the Director of Policy and Compliance to raise awareness and provide timely communications to the College community regarding the College's compliance and audit program and ways to mitigate risk.
- Supervise the projects, audits, and daily work of the college's internal auditor.
- Partner with the Assistant Vice President for Finance and the Controller to assess financial risk associated with all audits.
- Strategically develop and implement an annual audit plan that balances high risk internal control areas with other departmental requests.
- Make recommendations to resolve concerns associated with financial and operational controls throughout the College as well as to achieve efficiencies based on best practices.
- Serve in an ex-officio capacity on college committees related to policies, compliance and information technology systems.
- Prepare audit reports to be shared with senior management as well as the FIT Board of Trustees Audit Committee and the College's external auditors.
- Serve as the College's liaison for all external audits conducted by outside agencies
- Serve as a member of the SUNY Enterprise Risk Management committee.
- Master's degree in accounting or a related field;
- Ten years of demonstrated, progressive experience in auditing and risk management in a complex academic or corporate environment;
- Knowledge of auditing principles and General Accepted Accounting Principles;
- Knowledge of data collection and reporting software packages including the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent writing, oral communication, interpersonal and organizational skills; and
- Ability to work with all levels of management and staff, maintain the highest degree of confidentiality, and meet tight deadlines.
- CPA or CIA and higher education audit experience preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Online applications are strongly encouraged. Please provide the following:
A list of three professional references with:
- telephone numbers
- email addresses
- mailing address
- brief description of the relationship with the reference
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org