The State Higher Education Executive Officers association (SHEEO) seeks a new President. Founded in 1954, SHEEO is the national association of the chief executives of statewide governing, policy, and coordinating boards of postsecondary education. It serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, as a manager of multi-state teams to initiate new programs, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives and advance the public good. SHEEO currently has 61 members in all 50 states, two territories, and the District of Columbia.
We are looking for a leader who can recognize the challenges SHEEOs face in leading their states and institutions toward success in one of the most challenging periods in higher education’s history, and forge new sustainability models for our states that will be called on to serve more individuals from more diverse backgrounds than ever before.
The Search Committee seeks a President with the following attributes:
- A visionary and strategic leader with the capability to address the extraordinary changes in higher education from changes in federal policy, state budget priorities, technological advances, marketplace competition and student demographics;
- A thought leader with a strong sense of how to shape and advance higher education public policy initiatives;
- A passion for the role higher education plays in the success of American society and economy;
- A focused, energetic, and uncompromised work ethic;
- An individual who can operate and communicate in a rapidly changing social, economic, and technological environment; and
- A principled individual with a strong ethical base for personal and professional behavior coupled with the appreciation of different perspectives.
The Search Committee has the following expectations of the President:
- A skilled manager with an understanding of finance and a record of success in the complex environment of state and national educational policy;
- Significant achievement as a decision maker in higher education, foundations, state and national government, or association and organizations;
- A deep understanding of current national and state higher education policies and issues which may become professional development opportunities for SHEEOs and staff;
- The wherewithal to initiate and build relationships, projects, and partnerships, and facilitate collaborations and coalitions across and within organizations;
- Political acumen and skills to work with federal, gubernatorial, and legislative leadership in conjunction with advocating members’ needs;
- Professional concern motivated by service and commitment to higher education;
- Success in fundraising with federal, state, foundation, industry, and/or other resources;
- An inspired and inspirational speaker, excellent writer, and superior communicator, as well as careful listener;
- The ability to be a strong team leader and advocate for the professional development and success of the highly regarded SHEEO staff;
- A willingness to travel to accomplish SHEEO’s goals nationwide;
- Demonstrated leadership around policy implementation and engagement of stakeholders to improve educational outcomes for all students, particularly the underserved and underrepresented;
- Ability to cultivate and maintain external relationships to advance SHEEO’s goals and mission; and the
- Ability and will to work to ensure the long-term financial stability of the organization.
- Successful candidate must reside in the greater Boulder, Colorado area.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Nominations are invited. For best consideration, applications should be received by March 13, 2017. The application must include a letter of interest of not more than three pages; a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of five professional references with each person's current position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. The new President will reside in the greater Boulder, Colorado area and assume office in July 2017.
SHEEO is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and employing a diverse staff.
Apply for PRESIDENT
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly