Provost and Senior Vice President for Academics
Eastern Kentucky University, a regional, multi-campus, coeducational, public institution of higher education, has launched a national search for the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academics. The university invites applications, nominations, and expressions of interest for this executive academic officer who will continue to advance the institution to its full potential.
For complete details on this search, see the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/EKU17.pdf
The Leadership Opportunity
The Provost and Senior Vice President for Academics (Provost) serves as the chief academic officer for the university. Reporting to the President, the Provost provides visionary leadership, promotes academic excellence for the institution, and ensures that the university offers an inclusive environment that celebrates and promotes understanding and respect within a diverse community of faculty, students, and staff.
The Provost works collaboratively with the President and members of the President’s Council. This administrator leads and collaborates with the Council of Deans, as well as department chairs, faculty, academic staff, and students.
Positions reporting to the Provost are the Vice Provost, Deans of the six colleges, Dean of the Graduate School, Dean of Libraries and CIO, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and Research, Registrar, Executive Director of EKU Online, Executive Director of Model Laboratory School, Director of Academic Readiness and Testing, and Academic Affairs Business Officer.
This executive officer provides leadership and counsel to the dean of each college and directs the development and implementation of EKU’s academic plans and policies. The Provost ensures the academic integrity of the university and supports innovations in academic programs and methods of instruction and delivery that respond to a rapidly changing higher education environment and landscape. This administrator supports enrollment management and student retention initiatives, as well as supports and promotes collaborative and effective interrelationships between instructional services, student success, and academic initiatives.
Scope of Responsibility
The Provost provides the academic vision and leadership to advance and support excellence in teaching and learning, scholarship, and engagement for the institution. This administrator sets the overall academic priorities and allocates funds to move priorities forward.
While providing leadership for matters that impact academic programs and research, the Provost also ensures that the activities of Academic Affairs meet the requirements of the university’s accrediting and licensing agencies.
The Provost is actively involved with legislative relations, development activities, and interfaces regularly with the EKU Board of Regents. Additionally, the Provost provides leadership and guidance for the Council of Deans and works closely with the President to serve as chief advisor on all issues concerning academics and/or faculty.
Decisions by the Provost may be related to the implementation of new methods, procedures, and programs within broad objectives and accountability for the outcome. The Provost will be involved with the systematic and routine assessment of academic programs and initiatives to measure and plan for continuous improvement, and will review and propose changes to programs, systems, procedures, services, or policies. The Provost’s decisions will affect and impact the work of all employees within academic departments, other departments, students, and the entire university.
Setting Academic Priorities
- Ensure that the university’s programs and faculty are of the highest quality.
- Provide progressive academic and co-curricular leadership, vision, and direction.
- Develop, review, and evaluate curricula; and recommend curricula revisions, additions, and suspensions.
- Analyze registration statistics, program enrollments/course completion, and degrees awarded; and use the data to develop academic policies and initiatives.
- Provide oversight of course caps, course scheduling, and teaching assignments to maximize efficiency in course offerings.
- Plan, evaluate, and implement academic programs.
University Budgeting and Planning
- Work in collaboration with the President’s Council to establish budget priorities for the university.
- Develop, plan, administer, and monitor budgets for units within Academic Affairs.
- Allocate funds for academic programs.
University Policies and Procedures
- Create, implement, analyze, and evaluate operational policies and procedures.
- Make any necessary modification based on analysis of operations, demographics, and other research information.
Personnel, Faculty, and Staff Direction
- Appoint individuals to faculty positions (including academic administrative positions) and evaluate their performance.
- Provide support to faculty and staff in duties, such as teaching classes, conducting orientation programs, advising, scheduling events, and promoting professional development.
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and terminate departmental personnel.
- Recommend and approve all promotions, retentions, special hires, tenure decisions, and new appointments to the faculty.
Other University Involvement
- Represent institutions at community and campus events, in meetings with other institution personnel, and during accreditation processes.
- Direct and participate in institutional fundraising activities, and encourage alumni participation in such activities.
A Ph.D. or other terminal degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a strong record of progressively more responsible higher education administrative experience in senior academic leadership roles at regionally accredited institutions are required. The candidate must have a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, service, and student engagement.
Extensive expertise in program and curriculum development, program review and enhancement, continuous quality improvement processes, and budget and fiscal management is required.
Administrative experience within a broad multi-campus institution is preferred.
The successful candidate must have:
- Knowledge and experience in an academic setting, including curriculum and instruction, research and scholarly activity, accreditation, admissions and financial aid, and academic support services
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex academic organization and to work effectively with colleagues across divisions and campuses and have demonstrated effectiveness in leading and supporting a strong administrative team
- Effective administrative experience in higher education that includes planning, faculty development, budgeting, and resource development
- Strong interpersonal communication and decision-making abilities that enable effective interaction with the various constituencies
- A commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain, and manage a quality faculty and rigorous academic programs and policies, with a commitment to professional development
- Demonstrated experience in academic program assessment and the development and implementation of continuous improvement strategies
- Demonstrated knowledge of regional accreditation standards and experience working with accrediting organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to student-centered programming, academic excellence, and integrity at all levels
- Strong commitment to collegial, consultative processes and to shared governance
Eastern Kentucky University
Founded in 1874, Eastern Kentucky University offers general and liberal arts programs and pre-professional and professional training in education and various other fields at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Approximately 17,000 students are enrolled in more than 160 academic programs across EKU’s six colleges: Business and Technology; Education; Health Sciences; Justice and Safety; Letters, Arts and Social Sciences; and Science.
In addition to the main campus in Richmond, EKU has five regional campuses and centers that increase the opportunity for students to obtain selected baccalaureate and master degrees while remaining in the area to better serve the needs of their families and their communities. EKU programs are offered in Danville and Lancaster in the Central Region, Manchester and Hazard in the East Region, and Corbin in the South Region.
The university has a highly qualified faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service. These scholars have chosen to pursue their careers at EKU because they love to teach and to engage students in the learning process. There are 687 full-time faculty members, of which 356 are tenured and 188 are on a tenure track. There are 508 part-time faculty members.
EKU is committed to graduating students with the skills to think critically and creatively and communicate effectively. As a result of this integrated approach across all academic programs, EKU has received the Council on Higher Education Accreditation’s (CHEA) Award for Outstanding Institutional Practice in Student Learning Outcomes.
According to the 2014 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), EKU seniors ranked Eastern Kentucky especially high in effective teaching practices, quality of interactions, higher-order learning, and quantitative reasoning. Eastern Kentucky’s applied programs strike an effective balance between theory and practice in their discipline; and EKU students can select from more than 100 programs, each with an applied component.
More than 72 percent of the students attend full-time. Within the student body, more than 58 percent of the students are women and nearly 18 percent are minorities. Approximately 85 percent of the students are from Kentucky. The Fall 2016 freshman class was the second largest in Eastern Kentucky’s history, behind only the Fall 2015 class, and the best ever academically prepared class.
Eastern Kentucky’s four- and five-year graduation rates continue to climb. The four-year graduation rate has nearly doubled over the past seven years, and the five-year rate has increased approximately 36 percent over the same period.
EKU Online degree programs continue to grow steadily with more than 3,200 students enrolled as of Fall 2016. The online enrollment has more than doubled in the last four years.
In 2016, U.S. News & World Report included EKU on its list of Best Online Degree Programs. The university’s online degrees also have been recognized for quality, value, and military friendliness by organizations, such as SR Education Group, Affordable Colleges Online, and Best Value Schools.
In 2014-2015, the university awarded 3,635 degrees and certificates, including 750 masters and 44 doctoral/specialists degrees.
Eastern Kentucky students benefit from numerous organizations, services, activities, recreational opportunities, and sports. EKU’s Colonels compete in the NCAA’s Division I (Football Championship Subdivision in football) in the Ohio Valley Conference. The university fields 15 varsity teams. Men’s teams include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, tennis, and track and field. Women’s teams are basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
For more information, visit the university’s website at www.eku.edu.
Eastern Kentucky University is located in the city of Richmond, the county seat of Madison County. Richmond is an expanding community of approximately 33,500 residents. In and around Richmond are many areas of historic and scenic interest.
The city offers arts and entertainment, recreation, shopping, and fine and casual dining. With more than 100 buildings in Richmond on the National Register of Historic Places and three areas on the National Register of Historic Districts, the city is one of Kentucky’s finest restored 19th Century commercial districts.
Richmond has well-established neighborhoods and affordable housing. The area offers both public and private elementary, middle, and high schools.
Situated near the heart of the Bluegrass region and 26 miles southeast of Lexington, Kentucky, Richmond is served by a network of major highways making the area easily accessible from all parts of Kentucky and surrounding states. Interstate Highways 1-75 (north-south) and I-64 (east-west) make the metropolitan areas of Cincinnati, 112 miles to the north, and Louisville, 110 miles to the west, within convenient distance by automobile.
Eastern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, national origin or Vietnam era or other veteran status in any employment policy or practice. If an employee requires a reasonable accommodation to perform any or all of the essential functions of this position, they should contact the Human Resources Office at 859-622-5094 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
To Apply - Applications must include:
- A letter of interest A current curriculum vitae At least five references with full contact information, including email addresses (References will not be contacted without consent from applicants.) Answers to the questions at www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/MMQuestions.pdf
Submit application materials to EKU@myersmcrae.com
The search remains open until the position is filled. For best consideration, submit application materials by March 17, 2017.
Submit nominations to EKUemail@example.com Provide full contact information, including email address, for the individual being nominated.
Kenny Daugherty, Executive Vice President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Eastern Kentucky University with this search.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200
Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
Apply for Provost and Senior Vice President for Academics
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly