The Systems Administrator is responsible for all operational aspects of VMware/Windows/Linux server environment for Hofstra University. The applicant will be working in the Open Systems team with multiple responsibilities as: first responder, performance analyst, service architect, capacity planner, tools developer, and monitoring expert with focus on ensuring high availability. The ideal candidate should be highly customer focused and be able to work well in a team environment to resolve escalated customer issues as efficiently as possible.
• Expertise in VMware system administration, including designing, installing, configuring, administering, troubleshooting and automation.
• Fluency in at least one scripting/coding language.
• Experience running high-load web and database services, including requirements and capacity analysis, service configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting, and change management.
• Strong understanding of IP networking, including familiarity with ACL, Routing, load-balancer and the ability to analyze network behavior, performance and application issues.
• Performing periodic (daily, weekly/monthly) back-ups of systems.
• Supporting IBM DS4800, Storwize V7000 and Oracle 6180
• Supporting Brocade Fiber Channel Switch.
• Supporting of Windows, SUN Sparc Solaris and x86 Linux Servers.
• Periodic extended workday and on call availability is necessary.
• Periodic 2nd Line production support.
• Bachelor’s degree in the field of Computer Science or Management Information Systems or a related discipline required.
• 3 - 5 years experience with VMware systems administration.
• Solid scripting skills in PowerShell and Bash.
• Proven technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience.
• Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.
• Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests.
• SQL and Oracle experience a plus.
• Experience leading short projects.
• Knowledge of Network ACL and Routing a plus.
• Considerable knowledge of hardware platforms used to run Solaris and Linux operating systems, including FC and iSCSI SAN.
• Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required.
• Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
• Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
For consideration, please send (email preferred) letter of application and resume to:
Associate Technical Director of Systems and Operations
208 McEwen Hall
Hempstead, New York 11549-1250
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.