Date: February 19, 2014
Title: Assistant Professor - Exercise Science - TENURE TRACK
Position number: 530
Work schedule: 32 weeks per year
Reports to: Associate Dean for Faculty Evaluation and Hiring, School of Arts and Sciences
Posted through: March 19, 2014
Essential Job Functions
- Teach Exercise Science theory courses including, Concepts in Public Health (EXS 225), Intro to Exercise Science (EXS 184), Kinesiology, Group Exercise Instructor Course, and Personal Trainer Instructor Course.
- Assist in curriculum development for Exercise Science, including courses, programs, and certificates.
- Teach various Wellness courses as needed (e.g. Dynamics of Fitness, Weight Training, Urban Eco Trek, or Spinning).
- Participate fully as a member of the Exercise Science Department and the College in such activities as department meetings, program review, curriculum assessment and revision, textbook selection, and other committee work.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of Transfer Agreements with other institutions.
- Engage in professional development activities and maintain expertise in the fields of Exercise Science, Kinesiology, and Wellness.
- Advise students on curriculum, academic programs, employment and career goals, and other matters, as appropriate.
- Assist with maintenance of Exercise Science Department equipment inventory and make annual recommendations to Department Head for replacement and/or upgrades to meet current trends in the field.
- Demonstrate an interest in using current and emerging technologies in the classroom; ability to teach on-line courses is preferred.
- Support the Department and College through other work normally expected of faculty members.
Education and Credentials
- Master’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or a closely related field.
- Minimum of two nationally recognized certifications (i.e. AFAA, ACE, ACSM, Spinning, YogaFit)
- Successful teaching experience, preferably at the community college level.
- Recent coursework, seminars and/or other appropriate continuing education in Exercise Science/Wellness.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- Ability to lead group exercise.
- Must have the physical endurance to conduct several hours of physical instruction in one day, at times running back to back
- Must have the physical capacity for lifting up to 25lbs
- Traditional classroom setting as well as exercise facilities.
- Must be able to teach in high and low temperatures.
- Must be able to teach outside.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. To apply for this position, please visit our website at http://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document, unofficial transcript, and three reference letters. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on March 19 at 11:59 PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.