Job Summary/Basic Function: The position of Department Chair for Cultural & Behavioral Sciences Online is responsible for providing leadership to the faculty and staff under the joint supervision of the Social Sciences Dean and the Dean for the Online Division. The primary responsibility is to promote and maintain high standards of instruction that challenge students academically and to maintain an academic climate conducive to teaching, learning and continued growth. The Department Chair must be familiar with best online teaching practices as well as effective administrative practices. In addition, the Department Chair must be familiar with the college's core curriculum, policies and procedures, and faculty evaluation system. The Department Chair will coordinate the schedule for the department and will arrange for staffing. This is a twelve-month administrative position with tenure track ranking also requiring 3-4 hours of instruction (in his/her discipline) each academic year. This is a campus based position.
Required Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of full-time, college-level teaching experience, at least two (2) of which have been fully online is required. Familiarity with major online platforms including Desire2Learn strongly preferred. At least three (3) years of administrative or comparable experience in higher education is preferred. Candidates must have demonstrated administrative experience comparable to the knowledge, skills, and abilities expected of a department chair.
Required Education: A minimum of a Master's degree with at least 18 graduate semester or 27 quarter graduate hours in a Cultural or Behavioral Sciences discipline (psychology, sociology, geography, anthropology, criminal justice/criminology, education or social work) from a regionally accredited college or university is required.
A Doctorate in one of these areas is preferred.
GPC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) with all courses taught by SACS-qualified instructors.
- Experience in higher education, including experience with course schedules, academic planning, course assessment, faculty & staff evaluations, promotion and tenure procedures, faculty and staff recruitment and hiring, and academic advisement.
- Proficiency in one of the online learning platforms.
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to the mission of the two-year college is essential.
- Chairs must possess excellent human relations skills, including good listening skills and the ability to nurture a collegial environment that encourages the scholarly exchange of ideas and initiatives.
- Must work collaboratively with Department Chairs, Deans, faculty and staff on other campuses.
Campus: GPC ONLINE
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: ($61,468 - $76,834) commensurate with education and experience with excellent benefits.