Florida's newest state university is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as our Director of Instructional Technology & Online Education position.
Florida Polytechnic University was created by the 2012 Florida legislature to be the state's STEM-focused four-year public university. With a range of innovative undergraduate and master's programs planned, both online and classroom-based, the university seeks to recruit inaugural classes of freshmen, transfer and graduate students for fall 2014 and to grow quickly to become a major higher education presence within the state and beyond. The cornerstone of the new campus is an academic center designed by internationally-renowned architect Santiago Calatrava. Polk County, home to Florida Polytechnic, has a population in excess of 600,000 and is within an hour's drive of five million residents in the Orlando and Tampa metro areas.
This is a unique opportunity for Innovation and Technology faculty to help build a major public institution.
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful Director will provide administrative leadership to develop and guide all aspects of instructional technology, online learning and operations. The Director will work with ITS and Academic leadership to assist in defining institutional strategies for online education and LMS options and modern approaches to course delivery and management. The Director will provide leadership for the technical development and delivery of all web-enhanced courses. The related responsibilities include:
• Coordinating trainings and workshops covering new technologies that support the faculty and learners.
• Partnering with the academic team involved with the planning of instructional technology resources, focusing on the pedagogical use of various instructional technologies needed for online and face-to-face course deliveries.
• Research best practices for online education.
• Work closely with the Office of Academic Affairs and the faculty to continuously assess online education initiatives and outcomes.
• Lead online processes and IT related services involving instructional designers, trainers and informational technology and multimedia specialists, librarians, and others involved with academic support services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of current pedagogical theories and applications for online education
• Knowledge and skills to utilize Learning Management Systems, e-Portfolios, and other relevant assessment tools
• Ability to create and support a research based infrastructure and agenda for technology assisted education
• Skills to effectively oversee instructional design and delivery of online courses
• Ability to evaluate university level online programs and emerging technologies
• Ability to work with multimedia tools and software applications relevant to online education
• Ability to elect and utilize pedagogically sound strategies for current and emerging technologies (e.g. streaming media, RSS, blogs, wikis, and other social networking software)
• Basic knowledge of assistive technologies, ADA regulations, and educational requirements of accrediting agencies (i.e. SACS)
• Strong commitment to working collaboratively with diverse constituents
• Effective oral and written communication skills
Ph.D. or equivalent in a related field, and 5 years of progressive experience in Information Technology design, implementation, management, maintenance and support of such within higher education settings(s).
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: The salary will be commensurate with years of experience
Applicants must go to www.floridapolytechnic.org/careers . Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.