About Wesleyan University
Wesleyan University is known for the excellence of its academic and co-curricular programs. More than 2,700 undergraduates—and some 200 graduate students—from around the world pursue their classroom studies, research projects, and co-curricular interests in ways that are demanding and intensely rewarding. Here, on a beautiful campus overlooking the Connecticut River, students learn to do productive and innovative work that makes a positive difference in the world—that’s what Wesleyan is about.
Wesleyan at a Glance
- 2,766 full-time undergraduates
- 50% women and 50% men, from 48 states, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and 53 foreign countries
- Around 200 graduate students in the natural sciences, mathematics, and ethnomusicology
- Around 400 students per year in the Graduate Liberal Studies Program
- 27% students of color in Classes 2010–2013 (7% Black or African American; 10% Asian or Asian American; 9% Latino or Hispanic; .054% Native American); 7% international students
- 16% of students in Classes 2010-2013 were federal Pell Grant recipients
- Freeman Asian Scholars Program: full tuition scholarships for 11 of the finest students from Asia per class (1 from each of 11 countries). There are more than 70 Freeman Scholars enrolled today.
- 361 faculty members. All teach undergraduates while remaining active as scholars and researchers.
- 42% women and 58% men; 19% persons of color
- 9:1 student-faculty ratio
- Bachelor of Arts, Master's Degree in 6 disciplines, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (awarded by Graduate Liberal Studies Program), and PhD in 6 disciplines
- 732 bachelor of arts and 110 graduate degrees were awarded in 2009.
- More than 900 courses offered in 40 departments and 47 major fields of study
- More than 900 individual tutorials and private music lessons
- 13 interdisciplinary programs and 5 certificate programs
- Wesleyan-sponsored international programs in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, with special relationships with programs in Japan and China, and 140 other approved programs
- Participant in the Twelve-College Exchange Program
- 340-acre campus
- More than 300 buildings including: Olin Memorial Library; Russell House, a National Historic landmark; the six-story Exley Science Center; Andrus Public Affairs Center; the Van Vleck Observatory; the Center for Film Studies; the Freeman Athletic Center with a 50-meter swimming pool, the Spurrier-Snyder Rink for skating activities, the 1,200-seat Silloway Gymnasium, the 7,500-square-foot Andersen Fitness Center, and the Rosenbaum Squash Center with eight courts; 11-building Center for the Arts complex; Fayerweather with Beckham Hall; the Usdan University Center; and the Allbritton Center with the Allbrittion Center for the Study of Public Life and the Shapiro Creative Writing Center.
- Wesleyan is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (an 11-member league in NCAA Division III).
- 29 varsity teams; 11 club sports teams; 9 intramural sports
- About 700 students participate in intercollegiate sports each year
- More than 200 student organizations covering a range of interests: martial arts, outdoor activities, community tutoring, a cappella singing, literary magazines, theater and dance troupes, WESU-radio, political organizations, and ethnic interest and support groups
- New groups are formed constantly in response to student interest.
Admission (For Class of 2013)
- Highly selective, based on individual achievement and promise, without regard to an applicant’s financial circumstances (U.S. citizens and permanent residents); limited aid available for international students
- 10,068 applications received; 2,218 students admitted (22%); 745 students enrolled
- 52% women, 48% men enrolled
- 70% of students enrolled were within the top 10% of their class.
- Median SAT score for students enrolled: 700 verbal, 700 math, 700 writing; ACT 32.
- Of all students enrolled in the class, 35% are students of color (9% Black or African American; 15% Asian or Asian American; 9% Latino or Hispanic; 1% Native American); 7% are international students.
2 jobs with Wesleyan University
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director promotes inclusive excellence through programs that develop students’ capacity to...
Reporting to the Caleb T. Winchester University Librarian the Associate University Librarian for Research and Access Services. works closely with t...