About Wesleyan University
Wesleyan University is known for the excellence of its academic and co-curricular programs. More than 2,700 undergraduates—and some 200 graduate students—from around the world pursue their classroom studies, research projects, and co-curricular interests in ways that are demanding and intensely rewarding. Here, on a beautiful campus overlooking the Connecticut River, students learn to do productive and innovative work that makes a positive difference in the world—that’s what Wesleyan is about.
Wesleyan at a Glance
- 2,766 full-time undergraduates
- 50% women and 50% men, from 48 states, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and 53 foreign countries
- Around 200 graduate students in the natural sciences, mathematics, and ethnomusicology
- Around 400 students per year in the Graduate Liberal Studies Program
- 27% students of color in Classes 2010–2013 (7% Black or African American; 10% Asian or Asian American; 9% Latino or Hispanic; .054% Native American); 7% international students
- 16% of students in Classes 2010-2013 were federal Pell Grant recipients
- Freeman Asian Scholars Program: full tuition scholarships for 11 of the finest students from Asia per class (1 from each of 11 countries). There are more than 70 Freeman Scholars enrolled today.
- 361 faculty members. All teach undergraduates while remaining active as scholars and researchers.
- 42% women and 58% men; 19% persons of color
- 9:1 student-faculty ratio
- Bachelor of Arts, Master's Degree in 6 disciplines, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (awarded by Graduate Liberal Studies Program), and PhD in 6 disciplines
- 732 bachelor of arts and 110 graduate degrees were awarded in 2009.
- More than 900 courses offered in 40 departments and 47 major fields of study
- More than 900 individual tutorials and private music lessons
- 13 interdisciplinary programs and 5 certificate programs
- Wesleyan-sponsored international programs in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, with special relationships with programs in Japan and China, and 140 other approved programs
- Participant in the Twelve-College Exchange Program
- 340-acre campus
- More than 300 buildings including: Olin Memorial Library; Russell House, a National Historic landmark; the six-story Exley Science Center; Andrus Public Affairs Center; the Van Vleck Observatory; the Center for Film Studies; the Freeman Athletic Center with a 50-meter swimming pool, the Spurrier-Snyder Rink for skating activities, the 1,200-seat Silloway Gymnasium, the 7,500-square-foot Andersen Fitness Center, and the Rosenbaum Squash Center with eight courts; 11-building Center for the Arts complex; Fayerweather with Beckham Hall; the Usdan University Center; and the Allbritton Center with the Allbrittion Center for the Study of Public Life and the Shapiro Creative Writing Center.
- Wesleyan is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (an 11-member league in NCAA Division III).
- 29 varsity teams; 11 club sports teams; 9 intramural sports
- About 700 students participate in intercollegiate sports each year
- More than 200 student organizations covering a range of interests: martial arts, outdoor activities, community tutoring, a cappella singing, literary magazines, theater and dance troupes, WESU-radio, political organizations, and ethnic interest and support groups
- New groups are formed constantly in response to student interest.
Admission (For Class of 2013)
- Highly selective, based on individual achievement and promise, without regard to an applicant’s financial circumstances (U.S. citizens and permanent residents); limited aid available for international students
- 10,068 applications received; 2,218 students admitted (22%); 745 students enrolled
- 52% women, 48% men enrolled
- 70% of students enrolled were within the top 10% of their class.
- Median SAT score for students enrolled: 700 verbal, 700 math, 700 writing; ACT 32.
- Of all students enrolled in the class, 35% are students of color (9% Black or African American; 15% Asian or Asian American; 9% Latino or Hispanic; 1% Native American); 7% are international students.
1 job with Wesleyan University
Reporting to the Director of the Gordon Career Center, the Associate Director for Career Advising is a member of the management team and responsibl...