El Camino College
Close Date: 03/18/2014
To access the on-line application please visit:
El Camino College is seeking an individual to provide counseling services to a diverse student population including new and re-entering students; those pursuing vocational and transfer goals, and participation in counseling and planning meetings. Typical duties include: Counseling students in all academic and vocational areas; providing virtual counseling and/or group counseling, participation in the Student Success Support Program process, including assessment, orientation, development of student education plans and identifying retention strategies to achieve desired outcome and follow-up; teaching in the area of career planning and/or orientation; career planning for undecided students, counseling probation/dismissal status students; recruitment of vocational and/or disadvantaged students, assisting in preparing curriculum guide sheets and catalog materials with four year institutions and in fostering continuing relationships with District high schools, and other duties as assigned by dean. Apply student development philosophy and theory to provide comprehensive counseling services to community college students from diverse backgrounds regarding degree and vocational education program planning, university transfer planning, education, career decision, goal clarification and personal life management. Full-time faculty responsibilities including committee and meeting assignments, curriculum development, El Camino College program plans, program review, accreditation process, and student activities. Maintaining high standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the Counselor's professional position; performing assigned committee work; and, maintaining records and reports.
• Master's degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, counseling psychology, clinical psychology; guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
• The equivalent - Candidates not possessing the required qualification(s) as stated on this announcement must complete the Request For Equivalency Form as part of the application process to explain in detail how their qualifications are equivalent to those above; OR
• Valid California community college instructor credential in appropriate subject issued prior to July 1, 1990 (per California Education Code 87355); AND
• Sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and of individuals with disabilities.
• Minimum two years of recent California community college counseling experience.
• Knowledge of vocational counseling trends.
• Bi-cultural experience highly desirable.
• Knowledge of transfer counseling trends.
• Knowledge of Microsoft and Scheduling and Reporting Software (SARS) programs helpful.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYEMENT
Contract shall be for full-time, tenure-track assignment for the 2014 – 2015 academic year, beginning August 21, 2014. Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), and transcripts. Candidates selected for employment must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis test results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States, and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
The starting salary ranges from $59,426 - $81,624 depending on education and experience. Excellent fringe benefits are included.
An applicant must submit the following by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
2) Cover letter describing how applicant meets the qualifications.
3) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and accomplishments.
4) Pertinent transcripts as stated in the required qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
5) Evidence of a valid community college credential, if applicant holds one.
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
If you need assistance you may call 310-660-3593 Ext. 3474 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.