Coppin's tree-lined 52-acre campus in West Baltimore is one of the city's most impressive settings for learning. It is very much an urban campus and is easily accessible by public transportation. Yet with its lovely shaded walks and fountains, Coppin has the atmosphere of a serene residential college. Most buildings on campus are new, modern and comfortable.
The learning experiences for Coppin students are not limited the campus. All of Baltimore is their classroom, offering many opportunities to supplement campus experiences with cultural, social and recreational activities.
Although most Coppin students come from Baltimore's 50+ metropolitan area public schools, once they enroll they discover a thriving city they had never fully appreciated before. The Inner Harbor area, just fifteen minutes from campus, boasts fine shops and eating places in pavilions along the water's edge, as well as the Science Center, the National Aquarium, and the Maritime Museum. Coppin students also enjoy plays at Center Stage, Arena Players, and the Mechanic Theater. They attend concerts by everyone from Stevie Wonder to the Baltimore Symphony. They learn about history at the Maryland Historical Society and the Great Blacks in Wax Museum. They also view one of the nation's finest regional art collections at the Baltimore Museum of Art.
In addition, Coppin students get valuable on-the-job training with national and local companies and agencies through the University's Cooperative Education and Internship Programs. Internships are offered in several majors and provide students with practical experience in the career they plan to enter. The Cooperative Education Program provides students with actual work experience for one or more semesters, interspersed with the regular University program of study.
A comprehensive, urban, liberal arts institution with a commitment to excellence in teaching, research and continuing service to its community, Coppin State University provides educational access and diverse opportunities for students with a high potential for success and for students whose promise may have been hindered by a lack of social, personal or financial opportunity. High quality academic programs offer innovative curricula and the latest advancements in technology to prepare students for new workforce careers in a global economy. To promote achievement and competency, Coppin expects rigorous academic achievement and the highest standards of conduct with individual support, enrichment and accountability. By creating a common ground of intellectual commitment in a supportive learning community, Coppin educates and empowers a diverse student body to lead by the force of its ideas to become critical, creative and compassionate citizens of the community and leaders of the world, with a heart for lifelong learning and dedicated public service. Coppin State applies its resources to meet societal needs, especially those of Baltimore City, wherever those applications mesh well with its academic programs.
- Within the framework of the University System of Maryland, and in accordance with the mission of the University, the University has identified a set of specific goals to serve as a point of reference for planning and implementing the programs of the University. They are as follows:
- become a model comprehensive urban, liberal arts college offering programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- emphasize excellence in the academic program by improving the quality of existing programs and developing additional career-oriented programs as appropriate;
- use all physical, human, and financial resources to implement the most effective educational and support programs possible;
- provide educational opportunities and appropriate learning environments for all persons, regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, socio-economic status, physical condition or age;
- obtain adequate funding to provide instructional and support services essential for an urban commuter college;
- use University resources to provide services and support to the community.
These goals reflect the University's commitment to provide relevant, high caliber programs and services which are accessible to students and to the citizens of the metropolitan Baltimore area. They also underscore the fact that Coppin State University is willing to accept responsibility for providing resources which contribute to the improvement of the quality of life in the Baltimore metropolitan area.