Columbus State Community College invests in employee development by providing numerous resources, partnerships, training and mentoring opportunities. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that provides a variety options for you and your family.
Job Description To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled persons covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1. Serves student body, faculty and the public. Patrols campus property by foot, bicycle or vehicle. Offers and provides assistance and maintains good public relations.
2. Monitors, reports and responds to out of place or unusual occurrences, crimes, emergencies, violations, safety or traffic hazards, security conditions and other situations.
3. Responds to and handles high-risk calls and alarms. Takes appropriate action at the scene. Apprehends and arrests suspects in violation of laws and ordinances.
4. Safeguards against violence, theft, vandalism and other criminal behavior. Enforces state laws and campus policy, procedures, rules and regulations. Assists in lockouts and secures campus buildings.
5. Conducts criminal and accident investigations. Collects and identifies evidence, questions victims and witnesses, prepares evidence for presentation in court and testifies in court proceedings when necessary. Arrests, detains and transports suspects. Reports minor infractions. Writes warnings, citations and incident reports for review by internal and external customers.
6. Serves as initial responder for medical emergencies. Administers CPR, performs first aid, operates Automated Electronic Defibrillator (AED) and secures EMS.
7. Enforces traffic and parking laws. Regulates traffic flow and monitors parking lots for suspicious vehicles. Issues citations for parking violations including decal infractions, expired meters and other violations in accordance with campus parking regulations.
8. Keeps accurate records. Completes and maintains required documentation including daily log, alarm reports, incident reports and complaints. Inputs and updates incident report information.
9. Maintains confidentiality of student files and investigations, and maintains incident reports and other sensitive information.
10. Works assigned schedule in a 24/7 operation. Exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works overtime as required to meet workload demands. Required education/experience An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum qualifications for this position are: High School Degree or GED with Ohio Peace Officer Training Certification and 1 to 3 years law enforcement or closely related experience. Employee must be insurable to operate a vehicle, as a condition of initial and continued employment. Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Knowledge of: Law enforcement procedures and requirements; federal, state and local laws and regulations, including the Ohio Revised Code and search and seizure laws; safety precautions and procedures; non-violent crisis intervention; court proceedings; computer software, programs and applications.
Skill in: Verbal and written communications, grammar, spelling, and punctuation; writing incident and accident reports; mediating and peacefully resolving conflicts; interviewing and communicating with students, faculty and the public. Community policing experience is desired.
Ability to: Exercise sound judgment in dealing with stressful situations; comprehend oral and written information; maintain mandatory training; work independently demonstrating initiative; develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, supervisors, job contacts and general public; maintain confidential and sensitive information; assess and react appropriately to medical emergencies; perform physical demands and exhibit mental aptitude needed to perform law enforcement duties including pursuing and maintaining control of suspects, fights, and controlling criminal activity; recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate action; deal sensitively with persons of varying cultures and diversity; determine appropriate situations for use of force; function in adverse conditions and maintain self-control. Preferred Qualifications Training/Certifications Required State motor vehicle operator's license. Employee must be insurable to operate a vehicle, as a condition of initial and continued employment. Ohio Peace Officer training certification, AED, CPR, First Aid, Firearms certification. In addition, the position requires successful completion of fitness for duty psychological and medical evaluations. Candidates may be required to pass a physical fitness agility test, reference checks, and criminal background checks.