Columbus State Community College invests in employee development by providing numerous resources, partnerships, training and mentoring opportunities. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that provides a variety options for you and your family.
Job Description To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled persons covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
1) Functionally supervises assigned staff. Participates in evaluations, employee selection and other personnel actions, and provides direction and guidance regarding job methods, standards and operations. May recommend disciplinary action as appropriate. Assists supervisor with daily operations.
2) Serves student body, faculty and general public. Patrols campus property by foot, bicycle or vehicle. Provides assistance to students and faculty. Escorts individuals to vehicles or buildings, and jump-starts vehicle batteries.
3) Monitors, reports and responds to out of place or unusual occurrences, crimes, emergencies, violations, safety or traffic hazards, security conditions and other situations.
4) Responds to and handles high-risk calls and alarms. Takes appropriate action at the scene. Apprehends and arrests suspects in violation of laws and ordinances.
5) Safeguards against violence, theft, vandalism and other criminal behavior. Enforces state laws and campus policy, procedures, rules and regulations. Assists in lockouts and secures campus buildings.
6) Conducts criminal and accident investigations. Collects and identifies evidence, questions victims and witnesses, prepares evidence for presentation in court and testifies in court proceedings when necessary. Arrests, detains and transports suspects. Reports minor infractions. Writes warnings, citations and incident reports for review by Director and disciplinary board.
7) Serves as initial responder for medical emergencies. Administers CPR, performs first aid, operates Automated Electronic Defibrillator (AED) and secures ambulatory service.
8) Enforces traffic and parking laws. Regulates traffic flow and monitoring parking lots for suspicious vehicles. Issues citations for parking violations including decal infractions, expired meters and other violations in accordance with campus parking regulation manual.
9) Inputs and updates incident report information.
10) Keeps accurate records. Completes and maintains required documentation including daily log, alarm reports and complaints.
11) Maintains confidentiality of student files and investigations, and maintains incident reports and other sensitive information.
12) Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance. Performs other related duties as required. Required education/experience An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum qualifications for this position are: High School Degree or GED with Ohio Peace Officer Training Certification and 3 to 5 years progressively responsible related experience. Employee must be insurable to operate a vehicle, as a condition of initial and continued employment. Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Knowledge of: functional supervisory practices; law enforcement procedures and requirements; community policing and incident command procedures. Federal, State and local laws; law enforcement safety precautions and procedures; search and seizure laws; non-violent crisis intervention; Ohio Revised Code; court proceedings; English word usage, spelling, sentence structure and punctuation; computer software, programs and applications.
Skill in: delegating and functionally supervising work; verbal and written communications; writing incident and accident reports; mediating and peacefully resolving conflicts; interviewing and communicating with students, faculty and general public; application of job software programs.
Ability to: exercise sound judgment in dealing with stressful situations; comprehend oral and written information; maintain mandatory training; work independently demonstrating initiative; develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, supervisors, job contacts and general public; maintain confidential and sensitive information; assess and react appropriately to medical emergencies; perform physical demands and exhibit mental aptitude needed to perform law enforcement duties including pursuing and maintaining control of suspects, fights, and controlling criminal activity; recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate action; deal sensitively with persons of varying cultures and diversity; determine appropriate situations for use of force; function in adverse conditions and maintain self-control; implement training programs that are appropriate and educational. Preferred Qualifications Training/Certifications Required State motor vehicle operator's license. Employee must be insurable to operate a vehicle, as a condition of initial and continued employment. Ohio Peace Officer training certification; CPR; First Aid; First Responder certification, Firearms certification, and OPOTA Frontline Supervision certification. In addition, the position requires successful completion psychological and medical evaluations.