Columbus State Community College invests in employee development by providing numerous resources, partnerships, training and mentoring opportunities. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that provides a variety options for you and your family.
Job Description To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled persons covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
1) Functionally supervises Safety & Security Specialists. Participates in hiring and training new personnel, evaluations, and field training staff. Assists supervisors with daily operations and oversight of Security Specialists. Gathers, completes, and maintains documentation appropriate to the position. Assists other Public Safety personnel as directed by supervisors.
2) Coordinates shift scheduling for Columbus and Delaware campuses, in conjunction with shift Supervisors. Serves as a liaison for the Delaware campus, coordinating safety and security functions.
3) Serves student body, faculty, staff, and general public. Patrols campus property by foot, bicycle, or vehicle. Coordinates and provides general non-police assistance and escorts individuals to vehicles and buildings; assists in vehicle, classroom, and building lockouts, jump starts vehicles, and secures campus buildings and property. Assists other College department and personnel during peak times and special events that serve a College purpose. Assists with event security pre-planning. Assist persons with mobility or other disabilities.
4) Engages in public contact via telephone, radio, email, and/or face-to-face communication in order to take non-police complaints, answer inquiries, and provides direction and assistance to students, faculty, staff and general public.
5) Coordinates safety/security inspections and threat assessments of buildings and grounds according to OSHA, EPA, and other federal, state and local regulations and security standards. Takes the appropriate corrective actions to prevent loss of life and property. Serves as liaison to Physical Plant department for emergency and/or call in matters.
6) Monitors and coordinates response to out of place or unusual occurrences, alarms, crimes, emergencies, violations, safety or traffic hazards, security conditions and other situations, and reports actions and findings to the appropriate personnel. Refers potential criminal information to Community Policing Supervisor(s) for further investigation.
7) Maintains thorough working knowledge of all emergency management procedures as described in Department and College policies and procedures. In collaboration with the emergency management coordinator and supervisors, develops additional emergency management and other Departmental procedures as needed, and safety and security system operational protocols; trains Public Safety and College personnel accordingly in the proper use of operational protocols to assure staff proficiency and performance standards.
8) Assists Department and other College personnel in the operation and maintenance of the central monitoring systems, the emergency operation center, communication center, phone system, access control, alarms, fire suppression equipment, and the mass communication systems, and customer service. Serves as initial responder for medical emergencies. Administers CPR, performs first aid, operates Automated Electronic Defibrillator (AED), and secures ambulance services.
9) Safeguards against criminal behavior and hazards, enforces state laws campus policy, procedures, rules and regulations by engaging the proper authority. Enforces parking regulations, regulates traffic flow and monitors for suspicious behavior. In absence of other personnel, may issue college citations for parking violations in accordance with campus parking regulations.
10) Keeps accurate records. Completes and maintains required documentation including daily log, alarm reports, and calls for service information. Completes incident reports as required. Required education/experience An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum qualifications for this position are: Associate's Degree in a closely related field, with 1 to 3 years progressively responsible experience and all necessary certifications.
Must successfully pass a drug screen, criminal background check, and psychological evaluation as a condition of employment. Must be insurable to operate College vehicles. Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Knowledge of: safety, security, and emergency management procedures and requirements; federal, state, and local laws; environmental health and safety regulations and precautions, as applied to public institutions; computer software, programs, safety and security systems and applications.
Skilled in: organizing resources and establishing priorities, planning and implementation; strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications; preparing written reports, operating job related equipment; software programs; coordinating program functions job analysis, problem solving and conflict resolution.
Ability to: exercise sound judgment in dealing with emergency or stressful situations; comprehend job protocols, develop and implement standard operating procedures and response protocols, work independently demonstrating initiative; develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, supervisors, job contacts, and general public; maintain confidential and sensitive information; maintain accurate and complete work records; assess and react appropriately to emergencies; function in adverse conditions and maintain self-control; develop or implement training programs. Preferred Qualifications Training/Certifications Required State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to worksite(s); and job-related certifications intended to demonstrate competency and proficiency. Certification in CPR, First Aid, and AED can be obtained and maintained post-employment.