The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 10229
Provides efficient and professional service in support of an environmentally health and safe campus.
- Assists management in preparing reports of activities, inventories, incidents, environmental monitoring, and related matters
- Coordinates waste disposal programs by communicating with faculty and staff, organizing collection and contacting appropriate disposal vendors.
- Assists in delivering various training programs and in maintaining bulletins, web site, and other communications.
- May assist with routine inspections of laboratories, storage rooms, and work stations; may coordinate passive monitoring programs
- Coordinates purchases, manages inventory, and provides for maintenance of specialized department equipment
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Assistant to HEO
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Office of Environmental, Health, Safety and Risk Management (EHSRM) is committed to fostering a safe and healthy environment for the CUNY community and to reducing the University's risks and ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and University policies and procedures as well as continuing to build an integrated CUNY-wide environmental, health, safety and risk management system. Based upon the general duties listed above, the Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator performs specialized analytical research and administrative work to support, advance, and increase awareness of various occupational health and safety plans and activities, minimize liability, mitigate hazards, and ensure compliance across the University's 24 college campuses. Additionally, the Coordinator organizes risk management functions, safety compliance training, and oversight programs, and serves as the key administrative liaison to the campus EHSRM Officers and Council meetings. This position reports to the University Director of Environmental, Health, Safety and Risk Management.
Other duties include but will not be limited to:
- Conduct compliance-oriented presentations and informational training sessions.
- Research professional journals, articles and papers; analyze technical information; prepare analytical reports and briefings; and present findings to support executive decision-making.
- Assist with developing and implementing policies and procedures to inform and support the University community in EHSRM related affairs.
- Participate in conducting campus environmental audits, performance assessments, and evaluations.
- Draft and publish communications in various formats and maintain the content of the department website.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Management or directly related discipline strongly preferred
- Two years' relevant experience in environmental, health, safety or risk management preferred
- Detail oriented and accurate with strong analytical, evaluative, and research skills
- Effective writing, editing, proofreading, and oral communication skills
- Energetic, flexible, and customer focused with strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills to coordinate work plans, prioritize work, manage multiple assignments and conflicting priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strong work ethic and character with a high degree of personal integrity to work with discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency using academic, administrative, and financial computer programs, systems, and databases
Commensurate with qualification and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a position focused cover letter and rsum with your online application. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your experience and credentials fulfill the duties and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
March 21, 2014
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.