Assistant Professor of American Politics
August 18, 2014 (Fall semester)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Ph.D. in Political Science or in appropriate related discipline at time of appointment or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2014, with specialization in American Politics.
- Teaching experience or evidence of strong potential for effective teaching at the university level.
- Record of or demonstrated potential for successful research and scholarly activity.
- Potential for effective participation in faculty governance.
- Commitment to and/or expertise in educating a diverse student population.
- A preference for candidates specializing in American political institutions, but also open to candidates with a focus on state and local politics, political parties, campaigns/elections, social movements, public opinion, and interest groups.
- Particular interest in candidates who are able to connect their specific areas
of interest with broader questions within political science, such as the impact of economic, racial, ethnic, and gender inequality on democratic governance; the capacity of the American political system to deal effectively with economic and environmental challenges; and the changing role of the U.S. in the international system.
- Teach courses in American politics at lower-division, upper-division, and Master level courses, such as: Introduction to American Government; Scope and Methods of Political Science; United States Congress, American Presidency; Graduate Seminar in Research Methods in Political Science; Graduate Seminar in American Political Institutions; How Democratic is the U.S.?; Senior Seminar in Law, Politics, and Policy; California Government in Comparative Perspective; Parties, Campaigns, and Elections; Public Opinion and Political Behavior.
- Engage in research leading to conference participation and publication.
- Perform department, college, university and community service.
- Advise students, serve as a member of thesis and comprehensive exam committees.
The Department of Political Science at California State University, Long Beach welcomes and encourages diversity. We seek applicants and nominations from those who have experience teaching, mentoring, and developing research in ways that effectively address individuals from historically underrepresented backgrounds. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. California State University, Long Beach is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Letter of application addressing the minimum and desired/preferred qualifications
- Curriculum vitae (including current e-mail address)
- Three recent academic letters of recommendation, a writing sampleteaching evaluations
- A copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Finalists will also be required to submit a signed SC-1 form and official transcript.
All Applications and required documentation must be submitted through AcademicJobsOnline.org (position #3158). Application materials will not be accepted via post or e-mail.
Requests for information should be addressed to: Teresa Wright, Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Political Science
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-4605
- Review of applications to begin October 21, 2013
- Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, political affiliation, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSU LB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.