Imagine what you could do here. Every day is a new challenge, and you're continually looking for ways to help our team get better at what we do, in the most efficient way possible. A team player at heart, you collaborate with our departments, advocate best practices and roll up your sleeves to pitch in when it's all hands on deck. You move fast while keeping your attention to detail, and you tap into your problem-solving skills to support the company objectives.
The Associate Director of Student Facilitation & Mediation position is a full-time employment opportunity. The Associate Director of Student Facilitation & Mediation is responsible for ensuring that informal student complaints within the position's purview are neutrally addressed and resolved within established timeframes. The Associate Director of Student Facilitation & Mediation reports to Director of Student Facilitation & Mediation. This position is located in San Diego, California.
Essential Job Duties:
• Helps manage the receipt and tracking of informal student complaints.
• Safeguards the integrity of the University's informal resolution process and ensures that the process impartially helps the parties facilitate a mutually acceptable agreement.
• Helps the University prepare to mediate issues at external agencies.
• Supervises Student Dispute Resolution Facilitator Is and Student Dispute Resolution Facilitator IIs who neutrally gather information, review student accounts and facilitate an informal resolution without being an advocate for any involved.
• Collaborates with all units and departments to ensure that informal student complaints are impartially addressed within established timeframes.
• Works with University training staff to ensure staff are trained on proper methods for identifying, managing and responding to student concerns and complaints.
• Will help review current practices and procedures and help develop methods that are useful in a growing organization.
• Other duties and responsibilities as needed.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Advanced knowledge of conflict theory, stages of mediated problem solving and knowledge of mediator ethics.
• Demonstrated experience using principles of negotiation and facilitated negotiation.
• Demonstrated experience managing emotions.
• A minimum of forty (40) hours of conflict resolution training.
• Experience drafting mediation documents and superior writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to write clear, concise and accurate correspondence to students and individuals within the organization.
• Demonstrated experience negotiating through impasse and negotiating fiscal issues.
• Demonstrated experience negotiating in ways that allow the parties to save face.
• Working knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations relating to student rights and responsibilities.
• Developed leadership skills with the ability inspire and motive team members.
• Possess good judgment and discretion when interacting with internal and external constituencies.
• Works nights and weekends as necessary to meet established timeframes.
• Travels between Bridgepoint’s various locations in San Diego, as necessary.
• Travels to campus locations in Iowa and Colorado, as necessary.
• Valid Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
• Proof of attainment of academic degree(s) after extension of offer and before starting employment.
• Demonstrated experience working with students.
• Experience and/or training in resolving conflicts between individuals and groups.
• 10 or more years of related job experience.
• Must have 4 or more years of experience of prior experience in higher education.
• Strong communication and expert level conflict resolution skills.
• Be a certified mediator, if certification is available in the state where the position works, preferred.
• Demonstrated excellent writing skills with the ability to use the rules of Standard English grammar.
• Demonstrated intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher).
• Bachelor's degree required. A Master's degree in a relevant field is preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience, with extensive dispute resolution background. A JD is strongly preferred.