The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 10225
Administers and supervises financial aid programs and operations.
- Reviews contracts, disbursements, tuition and fees; validates student eligibility for various programs
- Administers, monitors and troubleshoots CUNY financial aid systems as well as Federal and NY State systems in order to ensure integrity of student databases and timely and accurate delivery of funds
- Assists CUNY staff, applicants, and students/families with advice on financial aid issues and eligibility
- May review and reconcile student payroll processing
- Represents the Financial Aid function at Admissions events; works with academic departments as well as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions and Computing offices to assure staff understand and implement financial aid processes correctly
- Assists in the development and evaluation of Admissions processes
- Prepares documentation, instructions, and materials in various media to support financial aid activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under the supervision of the Director of Financial Aid Services, the Assistant Director will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting with the college's CUNYfirst (PeopleSoft) Financial Aid module administration of the student information system including, but not limited to, writing and running queries and reports, analyzing exception reports, troubleshooting problems, and preparing analytical reports.
- Working with CUNY CIS Production Support and Implementation teams to improve operational efficiency by utilizing and expanding the use of PeopleSoft functionality including testing software upgrades and new aid year configurations.
- Representing the college at monthly university Financial Aid CUNYfirst System meeting to collaborate with Central Office (OSFA) and CUNYfirst production as well as at on-campus and off-campus meetings and forums.
- Facilitating and maintaining business process documentation in coordination with other staff members and external sources.
- Providing basic CUNYfirst training for the Financial Aid staff and other student service departments.
- Recommending and implementing financial aid policies and processes in accordance with Federal, State, and University standards.
- Providing comprehensive financial counseling to parents and students.
- May supervise staff and/or student employees.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Four (4) years of experience analyzing and reporting financial aid activities and trends, overseeing electronic financial data systems and records, and maintaining data integrity in a higher education institution
- Knowledge of the Federal, State, and City rules, regulations, and laws regarding financial aid
- Experience using PeopleSoft Campus Solutions modules and application or similar higher education software for financial aid processes
- Proficiency in using database management and report-writing programs, preferably PeopleSoft Query, SQL/SQR, Crystal Reports, and Access
- Strong quantitative, analytical, evaluations, and research skills with ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures and use sound judgment to draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the office and the students' needs.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
March 22, 2014
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.