Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
School/College: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department: History and Political Science
Location: Azusa Campus
The Department of History and Political Science invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professorship in American history, with primary specialization in the twentieth-century United States. Candidates should possess an earned Ph.D. in History. The appointment will begin fall 2014, and is subject to final funding.
Teach some combination of lower-division and upper-division courses in American History, California History, and Senior Seminar: Religion and Politics.
- Teach lower-division courses in U.S. History.
- Teach upper-division courses in modern American History.
- Ability to teach History of U.S. Foreign Affairs, or related topics, desirable.
- Teach lower- and upper-division writing and research courses with a strong liberal arts content.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate students as needed.
- Participate in departmental and university affairs.
- Integrate Christian faith in all aspects of instruction.
Level: Assistant or Associate Professor
- Ph.D. in History
- A commitment to teaching excellence in an undergraduate, liberal arts program.
- A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University.
Experience: Demonstrated commitment to scholarship in history and prior teaching experience at a faith-based institution preferred.
12 units (4 courses) per semester; advising and other departmental responsibilities determined by the Department Chair.
- Desire to integrate Christian faith in all aspects of instruction.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Self-starter and ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Ability to develop and maintain a scholarly research agenda.
Hire Date: August 2014
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.