The Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) is the only national association that serves the interests and needs of academic governing boards, boards of institutionally related foundations, and campus CEOs and other senior-level campus administrators on issues related to higher education governance and leadership. Its mission is to strengthen, protect, and advocate on behalf of citizen trusteeship that supports and advances higher education.
The Director of Marketing coordinates the association’s promotion and outreach strategies across departments for programs, services, membership, and publications. He/she works with all departments on product development and promotion. He/she will have responsibility for planning, developing, and implementing AGB’s marketing strategies to raise awareness, create sales, and help meet key revenue goals.
• Develop and execute marketing strategies and promotional materials, in consultation with departments, for AGB’s products, programs, services, membership, and publications.
• Create, implement, and measure the success of a comprehensive marketing and communications program that will enhance AGB’s image and brand.
• Ensure the consistent communication of AGB’s desired image, both internally and externally.
• Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for marketing and communications, monitor progress, assure adherence, and evaluate performance.
• Lead marketing team in conceptualizing design and content for all creative collateral including print materials and electronic communications.
• Supervise designers and printers in the development of promotional materials, and other vendors in the distribution of these materials.
• Create and manage the association’s marketing calendar, in consultation with staff in appropriate areas.
• Coordinate promotional direct mail.
• Coordinate an integrated social media strategy and oversee the creation of content on LinkedIn, WordPress, Twitter, and Facebook.
• Provide counsel to departments and central administration on approaches to improve outreach to members and new markets.
• Work with the Web director to ensure appropriate and timely promotion of publications, service, and programs through the Web site, email, and podcasts.
• Explore new methods of promotion of products, services, membership, and publications, and implement as appropriate. Identify new digital media and other emerging technologies that support and enhance marketing efforts.
• Keep informed of developments in the fields of nonprofit marketing.
• Manage marketing staff as well as outside consultants working with AGB on marketing efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications preferred. Graduate degree in a related field desirable.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated success.
• Demonstrated ability to lead, supervise, and implement major projects, such as rebranding campaigns.
• Successful experience in developing and managing budgets.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, interpersonal and organization skills.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, as well as online marketing materials.
• Ability to work effectively independently and in a team-oriented environment.
• Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Strong customer service skills, with internal and external customers.
• Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Flexibility to accommodate changing priorities and schedules.
• Experience with operating systems, including Avectra/NetForum Pro, and familiarity with content-management systems like Drupal and automatic marketing systems like Hubspot.
• Proficiency with the Internet; MS Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Availability for occasional travel.
• Effective personnel management.