The American Association of University Professors is pleased to announce a senior program officer position in the Department of Academic Freedom, Tenure, and Governance to be filled as soon as possible. This is a critical time for the AAUP and the profession as a whole, and this position will have a significant role to play in helping to shape the Association’s work. We invite you to join us in defending and advancing tenure, academic freedom, shared governance, and the economic security of the profession.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Advancing AAUP’s mission by working with members and leaders to develop and promulgate national AAUP policies, especially those in defense of academic freedom and shared governance.
2. Implementing programs to train conference and chapter leaders and members in responding to faculty complaints and violations of AAUP standards.
3. Collaborating with staff colleagues and AAUP leaders and members in addressing pertinent policy issues in higher education.
4. Responding to faculty inquiries regarding violations of AAUP policy.
5. Representing the Association before other higher ed. organizations, college and university bodies, and other unions and professional associations.
6. Coordinating with Association leaders and staff on particular projects and long-range planning, including working with staff from other departments within the Association and with local chapters and members to foster chapter and conference leadership development and to encourage participation in AAUP activities.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to analyze complicated cases, and the capacity for handling multiple projects.
2. Superior written and oral communication skills and computer proficiency skills, including familiarity with MS Office suite.
3. Experience and demonstrated ability working with professional groups and individuals and working cooperatively with staff colleagues and volunteer leaders and members, as well as experience dealing with diverse viewpoints and personalities.
4. Experience with developing trainings and workshops preferred, but not required.
5. Advanced degree, higher ed. experience, and a working familiarity with AAUP principles and standards preferred, but not required.
Salary range commensurate with experience.
Generous benefits package.
This position requires a willingness and ability to travel throughout the United States and to work irregular hours and weekends as needed.
This position is designated as a senior program officer in the Department of Academic Freedom, Tenure, and Governance and is part of the staff union bargaining unit.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “DAFTG Senior Program Officer – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email. You may also mail your resume and cover letter to AAUP, 1133 Nineteenth Street, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036, ATTN: DAFTG Senior Program Officer Search. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.