Nestled in a beautiful valley in the western Southern Tier of New York State, Alfred State has a long tradition of attracting the finest faculty and staff and offers outstanding educational opportunities in more than 70 programs. Project-based learning is a cornerstone of our Alfred State culture. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for leading the department of Athletics to include operational oversight of an 18-team intercollegiate athletics program in its first provisional year in NCAA Division III, physical education class offerings, student intramurals, and recreation. The Director develops and implements an array of operational and strategic plans that are in concert with the College’s strategic plan. The Director leads procedural development and implementation and advises the Vice President on issues that impact student athletes. The Director serves as a member of the Student Affairs Leadership Team. The Director of Athletics has the following responsibilities:
Athletics Department Management
- Daily operational oversight of 18 intercollegiate sports programs, physical education, intramurals, and recreation;
- Manage day-to-day facilities operations of indoor and outdoor athletic facilities and serve in a leadership role in advancing the campus master plan as it relates to athletic and recreational facilities;
- Oversight of game scheduling, contracts, officials scheduling/vouchering;
- Ensure campus compliance with NCAA Division III regulations, Title IX, and college and/or state policies; ensure necessary reports are filed to include EADA filing (the College also has an Assistant Director of Athletics with direct compliance responsibilities);
- Serve as the fiscal manager for all accounts in the department, including the athletic fee, fitness center and summer sports camps program, and manage all account responsibly and within the regulations and guidelines set forth by the State of New York, SUNY and Alfred State College;
Marketing & Fundraising
- Develop, plan, and implement approved marketing or fundraising efforts to advance Alfred State Athletics in partnership with Marketing and Communications and Admissions;
- Work to identify and cultivate relationships with persons committed to the success of the department/program.
- Conduct meaningful supervision and performance evaluations of all professional staff in the department. Develop and monitor employee performance programs that clearly identify measurable annual objectives;
- Manages and works with Human Resources on personnel transactions to include the hiring of both coaches and assistant coaches (search processes, contracts);
- Assist coaches in developing strong academic intervention programs to bolster student success;
Physical Education, Intramural, Recreation
- Serve as the Chair of the physical education course offerings (currently 37 P.E. classes taught by coaching staff)
- Via the Director of Intramurals (also a coach), provide oversight to ensure quality intramural offerings (average annual participation is 600 students)
- Via the Director of Intramurals, ensure all (club) sports teams to meet all risk management policies, procedures and protocols set forth by the College to insure appropriate supervision and safe operations of recreational sports competitions;
- Via the Fitness Center Manager (also a coach), provide oversight to the operations of the campus fitness center and other recreation initiatives including the pool (i.e.. open swim).
- Administer and assess department programs; assessment programs include program, needs and student learning outcomes assessment activities as directed by the Vice President for Student Affairs;
- Serves as a member to the Intercollegiate Athletics Board (I.A.B.);
- Develop collaborative and effective relationships with various campus offices that include but are not limited to Admissions, ACES (campus auxiliary), Business Affairs, Residential Services, Student Engagement, Judicial Affairs, Communications, Institutional Advancement, Facilities Services, Human Resources, Health & Wellness Services, Diversity & Inclusion, and academic departments;
- May work some evenings and weekends to support departmental sports contests or activities;
- Meet objectives/duties outlined in annual performance program;
- Be a visible role model for teamwork, respect, professionalism, integrity, conflict resolution, and optimism.
Minimum qualifications: At least five years of previous work experience in a collegiate athletics program; past or current demonstrated and significant administrative responsibilities exceeding the coaching role; Master’s Degree in relevant concentrations including Sports Management, Physical Education, MBA/Business/Marketing with demonstrated athletics-related content; proficiency with NCAA Division III rules and regulations; strong computer skills, written and verbal communications skills, organizational skills, and good judgment.
Preferred qualifications: previous experience as Director or Assistant Director at NCAA Division III institution; demonstrated experience with fund-raising.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to drug and criminal background checks.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-saf.... Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
Interested applicants must attach a resume and cover letter of interest when applying.