About Lewis University
Located 30 minutes southwest of Chicago, Lewis University is a comprehensive, Catholic university where the traditions of liberal learning and preparation for professional life give the university its educational identity and mission focus. Nationally recognized by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review and Colleges of Distinction, Lewis University is a dynamic and growing institution.
Lewis is a coeducational university providing more than 80 undergraduate majors and programs of study, 25 graduate programs, and accelerated programs for working adults through the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education and Nursing and Health Professions. Premier programs include aviation, criminal/social justice, education, nursing, and business. Lewis is one of many schools sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers with over 320 years of teaching experience in the Lasallian tradition.
Founded in 1932 under the direction of the Chicago Archdiocese and Bishop Bernard J. Sheil, Lewis began as the Holy Name Technical School for boys. Aviation technology was the special emphasis of instruction and the origin of today’s highly regarded Department of Aviation. In 1952 the school was renamed the Lewis College of Science and Technology. In 1960, the De La Salle Christian Brothers - members of a 326-year-old religious order devoted exclusively to teaching and named after Saint John Baptist de La Salle, their founder and Patron Saint of Educators – assumed direction of the institution. Today, with growing enrollment, outstanding programs, experienced faculty and motivated students, Lewis University is recognized as one of the finest, mid-sized, comprehensive Catholic universities in the country.
Private, co-educational, founded in 1932.
Catholic and Lasallian. One of more than 60 universities worldwide sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers.
A Welcoming Campus
The Lewis main campus in Romeoville, Illinois, is a picturesque 376-acre setting which houses more than 1,300 students in 12 residence halls, all within walking distance of well-equipped classrooms, the library, the JFK Recreation and Fitness Center, the Student Union, and the Sancta Alberta Chapel. Lewis regional campuses are located in Chicago, Oak Brook, Tinley Park, Hickory Hills and Shorewood. All campuses are easily accessible to corporate offices in Chicago and the suburbs, making it easy for students to complete professional internships. In 2009, a site was opened in Albuquerque to continue the Lasallian tradition of education in the Southwest.
Romeoville, Hickory Hills, Oak Brook, Shorewood, Tinley Park, Chicago, Albuquerque (New Mexico).
Lewis currently has approximately 6,000 students, 4,100 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate. Many are from the Chicago region, with international students representing nearly thirty different countries. Lewis welcomes students of all cultures and religious faiths with a 30 percent minority population and a ratio of 60 percent Roman Catholic to 40 percent other Christian/non-Christian faiths.
Lewis has 200 full-time faculty members who take their students' personal and professional success to heart. The majority hold terminal degrees in their fields. Many are experienced practitioners. The student/faculty ratio is 13:1.
Colleges and Schools
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Nursing and Health Professions
- School for Professional and Continuing Education
- Associate of Science (A.S.)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Elected Studies (B.E.S.)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.)
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
- Master of Education (M.Ed.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)
- Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.)
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
More than 80 undergraduate majors and areas of study and 25 graduate programs.
Professional and career preparation in a liberal arts tradition
Enriched by a diverse population, Lewis offers an inviting community. With more than 100 clubs and organizations, and eighteen intercollegiate NCAA Division II athletic teams, Lewis has something of interest for everyone. Activities include the theatre and performing arts, intramural sports and athletics, a nationally recognized scholars program, and peer ministry and volunteerism.
- Nationally recognized by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, Colleges of Distinction, College Access & Opportunity and GI Jobs
- Largest bachelor’s degree program in Nursing in Illinois
- Nationally ranked Flight Team
- Nationally ranked Mock Trial Team
- Award winning student newspaper The Flyer
- First all digital college radio station in the country
- One of only 14 accredited programs in Athletic Training among private universities in Illinois
- Largest undergraduate program in Criminal Social/Justice among private universities in Illinois
- The oldest Aviation program among universities in Illinois
- The only University aviation program in Illinois with an airport on campus
- Located in Will County, one of the fastest growing counties in the country
- Largest graduate program in School Counseling and Guidance in Illinois
- Nursing, Aviation and Education students recently achieved 100% pass rate on certification exams
10 jobs with Lewis University
Full-time Assistant Director Ministry/Coordinator of Social Justice Formation to develop and support social justice programs w/ a Catholic perspective
Lewis University invites applications for an Adjunct Faculty member to teach undergraduate nursing students in the Department of Biology.
The Athletic Department at Lewis University seeks a Graduate Assistant for the Men’s Soccer position. The GA will assist the head coach.
The Lewis University Library invites applications for an Electronic Resources Librarian to be responsible for managing the library's electronic/dig...
Lewis University seeks candidates for a Freshman Admission Counselor to be responsible for an assigned recruitment territory.
Lewis University's Executive Director of International Affairs will provide leadership for the university's international initiatives.
Lewis University invites applications for a full-time Academic Advisor for the School of Professional and Continuing Education.
The College of Business at Lewis University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position for Accountancy at the Assistant Professor level.
Full-time, non-tenure track Assistant Professor of Aviation and Transportation Studies.
Part-time staff position, Coordinator of the Nursing Science Lab, in the College of Nursing.